- Founded in 2012, ECOncrete delivers high-performance ecological concrete technology for marine enviroments.
- The company patented solution (which combines a proprietary admix, texture and design) create an infrastructure that exceeds the structural performance of standard concrete, while regenerating marine life and creating an active carbon sink.
- Already used in more than 40 locations in ten countries, shorelines in Spain, Monaco, the Netherlands, Italy, San Diego and New York have benefited from the company’s product.
- It is suitable for applications including flood defences, waterfront infrastructure, and offshore foundations, and lists carbon sequestration, increased biodiversity and promotion of local species, and improved water quality among its environmental benefits.
- Compared to traditional cement, ECOncrete structures show:
- 2X more biodiversity;
- 7X more carbon storage;
- 16X better water quality; and
- Have up to 10% greater compressive strength, and greater durability.
- Initial investment at Series A in May 2020 as part of the RElab 2020 programme.
- The round was led by Bridges Israel (an impact fund based in Israel), with participation of several investors including Barclays and a North American family office with an interest in ocean health.